Our approach Long-term success through responsibility
Our recipe for responsible business activities: Combination of economic, ecological and social aspects. We can only achieve lasting success if we manage to do that. Therefore, we identify the risks and opportunities associated with a project from the outset: How can we avoid negative impacts on the environment, people and society? And how can we use business opportunities? We create value with that approach.
Responsibility is one of our core values and the starting point for all our activities: We act with care, think long term and create value for us and society. In doing so, safety always has top priority for us.
Chairman of the Board of Executive Directors
We have a goal To keep on improving systematically
We want to contribute to meeting the growing energy demand in the most responsible manner. High standards and environmentally-friendly technologies are the way to do that. But we want more: be an attractive employer, reliable partner and good neighbor. We have integrated the topic of sustainability in our company-wide exploration and production management system. We are convinced that sustainability management is a continuous improvement process. The basis is regular evaluation, systematical control and implementation of our activities.
For example, we include Wintershall-specific sustainability criteria in taking investment decisions. We therefore examine the impacts of a project on the environment, health and safety of our employees, neighbors and on the respective region as a whole. We also use BASF tools such as Sustainable Solution Steering®. As part of that, we annually determine the sustainability contribution of our activities and related key challenges – according to fixed criteria.
We see the steering of sustainability aspects as a strategic responsibility. It influences all parts of the company and requires everyone´s contribution. The Chairman of the Board of Executive Directors has taken the overall responsibility for the topic.
A team positioned in the Strategy Division works to integrate sustainability topics strategically in to our core business processes.
A global group of experts from different locations and disciplines – our Sustainable Operations Community – supports them. The technical units and operational companies are responsible for subject-specific and regional measures. They best know the local needs and expectations.
Values, Vision and Mission
The principles behind our actions Simple rules guide us
The overall merit of our values, vision and mission depend on the extent to which we fill them with life in our everyday work. To ensure that, we have established six principles. These guide us – in everything we do:
- We create value for the company’s long-term development and the society.
- We provide sustainable solutions.
- We minimize our ecological footprint.
- We use resources efficiently.
- We respect people and their rights.
- We involve our stakeholders actively.
Know what is important Our challenges
along the value chain
Which topics are material to Wintershall and our stakeholders? To identify these, we continuously monitor trends and analyze future challenges. For example, through our own assessments and industry-specific studies. We also obtain insights from dialog events, workshops with stakeholders, and events for press and citizens. The topics of greatest relevance for us are: sustainable growth, technology and innovation, business ethics and transparency, protection of climate and environment, safety, health, employment, contractor and supplier management, stakeholder dialog and corporate citizenship.
We also support the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals. These goals were adopted by the United Nations in 2015. They define the framework for sustainability at the economic, ecological and social levels.
Operational Controller Exploration & Development, Wintershall Argentina
"I believe sustainability and excellence in our core business are closely linked to each other. I’m proud to work in a team that thinks in a long-term in its day-to-day work and gives its best to achieve good results. Wintershall has a great opportunity in Argentina, especially in developing Vaca Muerta, to bring its experience from other countries, thus making a positive contribution to the development of local economy and society.”
Head of Technology Portfolio Management, Wintershall Holding
"In view of a constantly changing landscape as a result of stricter regulations and low hydrocarbon prices, our ability to innovate based on sustainable technologies and research is now even more important in order to remain competitive."
HSE Manager, Wintershall Middle East
"As HSE manager, my job is to ensure that the risks associated with our business in the area of environment, health, as well as occupational and process safety are identified at an early stage and appropriate protective measures are implemented. For me that’s a key part of corporate responsibility."
Our Policy for Health, Safety, Security Sustainability and Environmental Protection
The business activities of Wintershall comprise the exploration and production of natural gas and crude oil as well as the construction and operation of pipelines. We combine long-term financial success with social responsibility and protection of the environment.
Therefore, Wintershall’s management is committed to adhere to the following principles in the areas of Health, Safety, Security, Sustainability and Environmental Protection (HSE):
- We integrate HSE into all our activities and strive for continuous improvement of our performance. As a contribution to this we set ourselves ambitious goals and develop tailor-made HSE solutions.
- We promote and protect the health of our employees. We are committed to an extensive range of medical services, from prevention to health-promotion packages.
- We make sure that our production plants worldwide meet high standards when it comes to process safety and occupational safety, health and environmental protection as well as drive sustainable solutions.
- We protect our staff and our premises against attacks by third parties.
- We rise to our responsibility for the environment and for climate protection. In this context, we shape our processes in such a way that environmental effects and the use of energy and resources are minimized.
- We aim to be an attractive employer, reliable partner and good neighbor. That is why we take on our social responsibility and are involved in a wide range of projects in the host communities where our sites are located.
- We are in an open and constructive dialogue with all our stakeholders.
- We pledge ourselves to adhere to international conventions, local laws and regulations and our self-set standards with regard to protecting people and the environment.
We are convinced: "Everybody counts." – Everyone working within the Wintershall organization contributes to the implementation of this policy through their well-thought-out and dedicated action. This also applies to our contractors.
Economic success does not prevail over safety, health or environmental issues. Nothing is so urgent or so important that justifies neglecting these HSE principles.