Wintershall is supporting social projects with traditional Christmas donationsThe donations, which have a total value of 50,000 euros, are being spent on social organisations in Kassel, Landau, Russia and Libya
Kassel. With its annual Christmas donations, Wintershall is supporting charities in the company’s core regions. This year the focus is on socially disadvantaged children and young people as well as people in need. Overall, Wintershall is donating 50,000 euros to projects in Kassel, Landau, Russia and Libya. These are regions where Germany’s largest internationally active oil and gas producer is engaged.
“As a company we’re responsible not only for our staff but also for the people around us. There are many charities that carry out great work in the social field. However, they often don’t have much in the way of financial resources. Therefore we’re delighted that we can help some of them,” says Wintershall Chairman, Mario Mehren.
In 2015, Wintershall is donating a total of 30,000 euros to the following facilities in Kassel:
- Soziale Hilfe Kassel – The association has been helping people in need for the last 125 years and operates the Panama drop-in day centre in Kassel, which offers meals for people in need. During the cold season they provide seven residential portacabins and two apartments as emergency accommodation for homeless people. To help maintain these night shelters, Wintershall is donating 20,000 euros to the Soziale Hilfe Kassel association.
- Jugendhilfeeinrichtung Schutzhof Calden – The facility, which belongs to the Hessen Nord regional association, provides temporary care for children and young people in difficult life situations. It offers them protection, peace and support. Wintershall is supporting the youth welfare facility with 5,000 euros. The donation is intended to be used for constructing a place for leisure activities and for establishing a campfire site.
- Fahrende Ärzte – Since 1996, the Kassel association in collaboration with the City of Kassel’s Health Department and the Drug Help Unit has been providing social and medical care for people at the margins of society. Volunteer staff doctors, medical care personnel and social workers provide free, anonymous and unbureaucratic help on the streets for people without access to basic healthcare provision. They help the people to secure health-related and social stability. To maintain the medical care for the needy, Wintershall is donating 5,000 Euros to the Fahrende Ärzte association.
At the company's site in Landau in Rhineland Palatinate, Wintershall is supporting the “Hospice for Landau and the Southern Wine Route” charity.
- “Hospice for Landau and the Southern Wine Route” charity - With a donation of 5,000 euros, Wintershall is supporting the construction of a hospice for severely and terminally ill people from the town of Landau and the “Southern Wine Route” region. The hospice aims to provide those affected and their relatives with palliative care in order to meet the emotional and spiritual needs of terminally ill people. The aim is to enable patients to die in a familiar and secure environment with dignity.
Wintershall has also been active in Russia and Libya for many years and would also like to give something back to the local people here and, in doing so, demonstrate its gratitude.
- Russia: Zirkus UPSALA – The St. Petersburg project was founded in the year 2000 and provides children and young people from disadvantaged social backgrounds with an alternative place for learning and living. By using methods based on circus pedagogy, the aim is to integrate children and adolescents into society. A focus of the circus is the “Special Child” project. Here educational specialists can specifically care for children and young people with physical and multiple disabilities. The focus of this work is on integrating children with disabilities into regular groups of children. Due to the success of the project, it is planned to launch a new group. Wintershall is donating 10,000 euros for developing and coordinating the “Special Child” project.
- Libya: action medeor – Germany’s largest medical aid organisation provides more than 10,000 healthcare facilities in over 140 countries with urgently needed medicines. It aims to alleviate the critical supply situation at the hospitals to ensure that patients receive the necessary treatment. The donation of 5,000 euros will be used for purchasing medicines and medical equipment for hospitals in Libya. The humanitarian situation is in many places poor. The Libyan health service is facing major challenges as a result of the ongoing crisis.
Wintershall Holding GmbH, based in Kassel, Germany, is a wholly owned subsidiary of BASF in Ludwigshafen. The company has been active in the extraction of natural resources for 120 years, and in the exploration and production of crude oil and natural gas for over 80 years. Wintershall focuses on selected core regions, where the company has built up a high level of regional and technological expertise. These are Europe, Russia, North Africa, South America, and increasingly the Middle East region. The company wants to expand its business further with exploration and production, selected partnerships, innovation and technological competence. The company employs more than 2,400 staff worldwide from 40 nations and is now Germany’s largest crude oil and natural gas producer.
Wintershall. Shaping the future.