Personnel changes at WintershallIn future there will be two Board departments for exploration and production / Gerhard König will join the Gazprom Group / New heads at Wintershall in Germany, the Netherlands, Libya and the Middle East
Kassel. Wintershall's strategy is to expand exploration and production of oil and gas. To reflect this strategic orientation more strongly, the following organizational changes will be made effective September 1, 2014:
- Mario Mehren, who has been in charge of Wintershall's Russian business, will also assume responsibility for the core regions of South America and North Africa.
- Martin Bachmann will manage our core business in Europe, with the production regions Germany, the Netherlands and Norway. Bachmann will also build our operations in the development region of the Middle East.
- Chief Financial Officer Ties Tiessen will take over responsibility for natural gas transport and transit pipelines, including the Nord Stream, South Stream and OPAL/NEL projects.
- Rainer Seele will remain Chairman of the Board of Executive Directors.
As part of the asset swap agreed between BASF and Gazprom in December 2013, Wintershall will exit the natural gas trading and storage business the two have jointly run for many years. When the transaction is completed, the responsible board member, Gerhard König, will join the Gazprom Group and continues as chairman of WINGAS. It is expected to be completed in the fall of 2014.
There will also be changes at the top of some operating companies (OPCOs) of Wintershall effective September 1, 2014:
- Andreas Scheck, up to now Head of the Operations department in Germany, will take charge of Wintershall Deutschland in Barnstorf. Joachim Pünnel will take over management of a new division at headquarters in Kassel.
- Robert Frimpong, previously Vice President Technology, will assume responsibility for the Business Unit Netherlands in Rijswijk. His predecessor Gilbert van den Brink stays Managing Director of Wintershall Nederland B.V.
- Thilo Wieland, up to now Vice President Strategy and Portfolio Management, will become General Manager of Wintershall Libya. He succeeds Uwe Salge, who will move to Abu Dhabi as Head of Wintershall Middle East. Klaus Langemann, to date General Manager in Middle East, will take charge of a new unit at headquarters in Kassel.