Health, Safety and Environment We believe in a sustainable future
For Wintershall, sustainability means reconciling long-term financial success for the Company with environmental protection, the health and safety of all involved, and our social responsibility.
HSE Management 4 steps - 12 elements
Our intelligent HSE management system helps us reliably achieve what we really believe in: the combination of business success with safety standards, social responsibility, and environmental protection. As we plan, further develop, and monitor our HSE guidelines, we work according to an internationally recognized standard frequently used in the oil and gas industry, known as the 12-element model. The 12 elements of this model can in turn be grouped into four steps, resulting in a fully effective system for implementing our HSE guidelines.
1. Policy, leadership & commitment
2. Hazards, risks, legal & business requirements
3. Objectives, targets & HSE Programmes
4. Organisation structure, roles & responsibilities
5. Training & competence
6. Communication & consultation
7. HSE MS documentation
8. Operational control
9. Emergency preparedness & response
10. Incident reporting, investigation & corrective action
11. Monitoring & measurement
12. Management review & system improvement
HSE Policy Our guidelines for a safe future
Our position as a leading company in oil and gas exploration and production makes us keenly aware of our social responsibility. For this reason, occupational health, safety at work, and environmental protection are given top priority. Our guidelines to protect these values (health, safety, and environmental protection = HSE) are therefore a core element of how we see ourselves and are an important embodiment of the key objectives of our Company.
Policy for Health, Safety, Security, Sustainability & Environmental Protection
The business activities of Wintershall comprise the exploration and production of natural gas and crude oil as well as the construction and operation of pipelines. We combine long-term financial success with social responsibility and protection of the environment. Therefore Wintershall’s management is committed to adhere to the following principles in the areas of Health, Safety, Security, Sustainability and Environmental Protection (HS³E):
- We integrate HS³E into all our activities and strive for continuous improvement of our performance. As a contribution to this we set ourselves ambitious goals and develop tailor-made HS³E solutions.
- We promote and protect the health of our employees. We are committed to an extensive range of medical services, from prevention to health-promotion packages.
- We make sure that our production plants worldwide meet high standards when it comes to process safety and occupational safety, health and environmental protection as well as drive sustainable solutions.
- We protect our staff and our premises against attacks by third parties.
- We rise to our responsibility for the environment and for climate protection. In this context, we shape our processes in such a way that environmental effects and the use of energy and resources are minimized.
- We aim to be an attractive employer, reliable partner and good neighbor. That is why we take on our social responsibility and are involved in a wide range of projects in the host communities where our sites are located.
- We are in an open and constructive dialogue with all our stakeholders.
- We pledge ourselves to adhere to international conventions, local laws and regulations and our self-set standards with regard to protecting people and the environment.
We are convinced: "Everybody counts." – Everyone working within the Wintershall organization contributes to the implementation of this policy through their well-thought-out and dedicated action. This also applies to our contractors. Economic success does not prevail over safety, health or environmental issues. Nothing is so urgent or so important that justifies neglecting these HS³E principles.
Our responsibility: Annual reports Here is what Wintershall does in the areas of economy, ecology and social issues
To date, Wintershall has published an annual HSE report containing important figures in the areas of health, occupational safety and environment protection (HSE). This year’s "Annual Corporate Responsibility Report 2015" replaces the HSE report and even exceeds it: The comprehensive report shows how Wintershall understands and exercises responsibility in respect of its employees, the environment and society. The Wintershall Group’s activities in all three sustainability dimensions economy, ecology and social issues are summarized here in a clear and vivid manner.
Using ressources efficiently
It goes without saying that we use natural resources efficiently. We face the challenges by acting responsibly, applying high standards, and driving technical innovation. Environmental protection is in our own economic interest. The new or improved methods which we apply for the exploration and production of hydrocarbons are a key factor to our success. These enable us to minimize the impact on the environment.
17.3 millionproduction water from the offshore platform
10.6 millionextracted reservoir water
1.5 millionother types of waste water
The exploration and production of crude oil and natural gas generates production and waste water.
We try to recycle as much water as we can by using innovative technologies and water cycles. A total of 29.6 million m³ of water were used in 2014 (2013: 16.8 million m³), most of which – 15.3 million m³ (2013: 11.8 million m³) was used for production (production water). Of the 29.6 million m³ of water used, some 10.6 million m³ of production water were separated from the crude oil and natural gas at the surface and cleaned before being fed back into the original reservoirs.
Production water from our offshore production platforms (totaling 17.3 million m³) was cleaned and then discharged into the sea in compliance with the statutory threshold limits.
Another 1.5 million m³ of other forms of waste water were generated, for example during the construction and operation of cavern storage facilities (solution mining), during cleaning operations and water treatment.
At locations where Wintershall is not connected to the public waste disposal network, waste water is cleaned and disposed of in line with regulations.
Thermal energy (steam)
We use electrical energy to produce, process and transport crude oil and natural gas, for example to drive pumps and compressors, and as thermal energy in the form of steam to produce oil.
Depending on the location of our production sites to the supply networks, we obtain electricity from the public grid or produce it ourselves at remote locations. In 2014 we used a total of 498,511 MWhel in electrical energy and 507,288 tons of steam for our processes. We are constantly working on improving our energy efficiency, both in the energy we use and the energy we generate.